Your Union Activism Matters
Union workers create safer, cleaner, more stable and fairer workplaces. IAM workers like you have given all American workers better wages, better benefits, better pensions and better job security.
- Union workers make more money than nonunion workers doing the same jobs. Unions raise total compensation, including both wages and benefits. As an IAM worker, you can expect to earn 28% more than nonunion workers. If you include pay plus benefits, an IAM member can expect to earn up to 38% more.
- Unions raise wages among workers without a college education, thus providing an important pathway to middle class lifestyles for millions of Americans.
- When unions bring better paychecks to the working class in America, workers are able to spend more of those paychecks in their local economies. Union wages flow into area businesses, making communities stronger, and creating higher demand for more employment. Your union activism puts more money into the hands of blue collar workers, and helps local economies to grow and thrive.
- Unionized workers are less likely to experience sudden job loss through unfair terminations and workplace accidents.
- Union workers pay lower health care deductibles and a smaller portion of health care costs. Retired union workers are more likely to retain their health insurance after completing their careers.
- Employers of union workers pay more into the pensions of workers than nonunion employers. This incentivizes workers to stay with the same company throughout their careers, and promotes a more stable business model.
- Unionized workers get more vacation time and holiday pay.
This is your digital copy of the Contract. Read up on your rights, and help defend them. Knowledge is power.
Shop Stewards Page
Learn more about the Local 811 Shop Steward Program.
IAH Ramp Virtual Union Board is on Facebook! This is the best place to ask questions, share ideas with your coworkers, and get involved.
click for instructions about how to add us to your home screen